I’m sure you get lots of advertisements in the mail from all the utility companies in your area. Where I live there are 3 internet providers, 5 garbage companies & 3 natural gas suppliers. Every time I get an ad for utility prices from my company or competing companies I save it in a little folder in my kitchen. Why? Because that’s my leverage for negotiating my utility rates.
This is how I never pay full price for my utilities:
5. If they say they can, start writing down what they say and be sure to check their math.
- For example, I called my garbage company and told them I was going to switch to a new company because of an advertisement I got for $12 per month trash service for the first year. The price would go up to $14 after the first year.
- At the time, I was paying $16 per month for trash/recycle pickup.
- The customer service person at my current trash company made me an offer for $13 per month. However, they were willing to lock that price in for 2 years.
- So over a 2 year period (non-contracted), I saved money and didn’t have to switch. She also offered to waive a fee I had been previously paying which saved me even more money.
- I recommend that you do the math and make sure that it is cheaper in the long run.
Subscribe to my emails + get an all access pass to my printable library!
Get access to my printable gifts, party planners, cleaning lists and more! Be the hostess with the mostess!