If you’re reading this, I’m sure your a guy. Being that your a guy I’m not going to ramble on or create a cute intro. I’m going to get to the point. The point is, you need help. I’m here to help you understand gift shopping for women. It doesn’t have to be expensive, it just has to be personal. Let’s do this.
Avoid these situations…
How To “Win” With Your Woman
1. Know your stats. Ask her to write down the following info on a sheet of paper (keep the paper in your wallet at all times):
- Sizes (optional)
- Favorite Color
- Favorite Flower
- Favorite Candy/Treat
- Favorite Fancy Smancy Coffee (Randomly show up with these at work and home 🙂 )
- Favorite perfume/body spray
2. Don’t be afraid to ask for directions:
- If you walk into her favorite store and don’t even know where to begin consider asking a female sales associate for help. Getting a woman to help you pick out a gift for a woman is a good idea.
3. Remember the 3 P’s of gift buying for a woman:
- Prioritize- Shop or make the gift ahead of time. There is no such thing as “belated” gifts with a woman. Shopping for a woman’s gift doesn’t have to be expensive if you make a plan. It could be something you make by hand or simply get really thoughtful about. She also knows when you picked up the item at drug store the night before.
- Personalize- Women want to think you “think” about them. It may sound crazy but I’m trying to help you out. Get her a gift that is personal and unique to her in some way. I’ve included ideas and links to make it easy on you.
- Something you made. This is the biggest deal in the whole world to a woman. If you “make” her a gift it’s like saying, “you were so important, I took time out of my football games and life to make you something special.” Check out my “Brilliantly Inexpensive Gifts” Pinterest page for more ideas from other creative people on the web. Just don’t tell anyone you checked it out.
- Birthstone Jewelry (keep in mind hers, yours and any kids you may have)
- Photo Jewelry
- Living Lockets (customizable clear lockets with charms inside.)
- Gift basket of her favorite coffee, tea, snacks, candy, scents etc…
- Jewelry from an antique store that is unique and one of a kind.
- Supplies for a craft she may love such as knitting, crocheting or scrap booking.
- Arrange a family or couples photo shoot.
- Hop online and order a canvas of her favorite photo (these are cheapest at Costco, Sams or Walmart. You can order online or in store.)
- If she’s an artist, order canvases of photo’s she has taken that she is proud of.
- You can also turn any family photo/kids photo into a phone cover, lidded coffee mug, calendar, throw blanket, tablet cover and much much more at sites like Shutterfly. http://www.shutterfly.com/photo-gifts
- Pamper- Women like to be pampered. They like to think that you want them to do something special for themselves. Get a gift that gives them permission to put themselves first. Don’t forget to check out Amazon local for good deals on these types of things in your area as well as Groupons.com.
- Make her a gift basket of spa stuff that you pick out yourself.
- Make her a gift basket full of her favorite tea, coffee, a book and a nice set of slippers or a robe.
- Spa Treatments
- Manicure/ Pedicure
- Shopping Spree at Favorite Store
- Child Care or Babysitting
- Kindle Gift Cards
- A handbag or gift she would love but would never buy for herself because it seems to expensive.
- Maid Service (This is a tricky one. I know women who would love this but for some women it’s a slap in the face. The interpret it as, “You think I’m incapable of cleaning our home well enough?” If your woman has mentioned this before go for it, if not, stay away.)
- Give her a gift certificate that she can turn in for free services from you. Your best bet is to make it something that you do to take a chore or hated task off her hands (washing dishes, dusting, whatever it may be.) Here is a free printable certificate that you can print out and use. Clicking the link will take you to Google Docs where you may print as many as you would like!
I hope this helps you plan out a gift for the woman in your life that will get you brownie points rather than a night in the dog house. Women seem complicated, but the truth is, our desires in life are pretty simple. If you can simply focus on making the gift personal or pampering, you’re on your way to having a happy woman!
BLOGGER WARNING: If you have a high maintenance woman who expects really expensive things all the time disregard this entire post. I cannot help you.
Kim’s is the party planning, thrifty life-loving, intentional living catalyst behind the Thrifty Little Mom Blog. Kim was a pro event planner for over 7 years before she became a full-time blogger. Kim is the author of: Live, Save, Spend, Repeat: The Life You Want with the Money You Have. She’s been featured on Time.com, Money.com, Good Housekeeping, Women’s Day, and more! Kim aims to inspire you to create, celebrate, and live life intentionally!