This cake is not guaranteed to make you famous on a cooking network, but it might just make you famous with your friends and family around the holidays.
I live in a fantastic neighborhood that hosts several gatherings, all based around food of course. Ever since I first served up this delicious Rum Cake, the request and expectation is that it will find it’s way amongst the table of desserts!
The minute I walk in the door, I’m asked, “Did you make ‘THE’ cake?”! Once, I decided to make another dessert and the looks of disappointment on my neighbors’ faces made me want to run home and bake THE cake!
- Cake Ingredients:
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 1 box instant cheesecake or vanilla pudding
- 3 large eggs
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 1/3 cup coconut rum or cream soda
- 1/2 cup water
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans
- Glaze Ingredients:
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 1-2 oz rum to your tasting or cream soda
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
How to Make the Cake:
- Preheat oven to 340 degrees.
- Prepare your bundt pan, I don't like to use sprays so I just melted a tbsp of butter and coconut oil and coated the pan with the mixture on a clean paper towel.
- Mix the above cake ingredients (don't mix in the PECANS at this point) on high for about 2 minutes then let it rest.
- Now Pour the pecans into the bottom of the pan followed by the cake mixture.
- Bake for 45 minutes.
- When the cake has baked, let it cool completely before adding the glaze.
How to Make the Glaze:
- Over a low heat, melt the butter.
- Once the butter is melted, add the rum or cream soda, stir in granulated sugar (not powdered sugar) and water.
- Continue stirring over low heat until the ingredients are thoroughly mixed.
- Finally, pour the glaze over your cooled cake.
Trouble shooting: If the glaze cools too much, you will not be able to pour it over the cake. If your heat is too high, your glaze will be too thick and 'candied'.