My wonderful friend Rhonda has the method of decorating that I love. She likes for things to be beautiful in her home, but she keeps it minimal and diverse enough that she can take a simple design and make it stretch through seasons. Last year she did a post for me on her outdoor decor that you could modify slightly to get you from Halloween to Christmas (if you want to see what she does, check out her DIY Interchangeable Holiday Decor post). She does something very similar on her mantel all year. I thought you guys would love how easy and thrifty it can be to decorate your mantel like the magazines.
When I was a ‘tween’-ager, I used to rearrange my perfume bottles on my mirrored vanity tray (oh so popular in the 80’s) into picturesque still-lifes worthy of any department store window display! Fast forward a few (uhhm) decades and my fireplace mantel has now replaced my vanity top.
- These can be found anywhere from the thrift store to the craft store or better yet find three that you already own!
- The vases do NOT need to match, but their size and shape should complement each other.
- Don’t forget about stores like Pottery Barn and the Dollar Store for inexpensive new glassware.
Step 2: Gather decorations or objects that best represent the current month’s topic for you and your family.
- Get creative here and find items around your home that can best exemplify the month’s holiday or theme.
- Dollar stores always have a great supply of small holiday decor that would easily fit in, decorate or wrap around your vases!
Step 3: Position the vases on your mantel and decorate around them.
- I love the look of a large mirror or piece of artwork above the mantel with the vases positioned in front and additional decor draping the length of the mantel.
Step 4: Each month, substitute new items.
- Change the decor, both in your vases and on the area surrounding them, for your very own department store worthy display each month.