I’m not going to lie. I freaking love a good-themed party. When you have a theme it makes it so much easier to plan, decorate, decide on costume options and get your guests confidently excited. I’m guessing that if you are reading this post you are considering hosting a 90s theme party. I’m also guessing that you are looking for some ideas with which to set the stage for an awesome event. That’s why we came up with a mega list of ideas, costumes, and decor to help you lock down a 90’s party theme that your guests will love!
Let’s step inside a mental time machine shall we?
90s Party Theme Ideas and Inspiration
The costuming for this party is straight out of the 90s with the classic pieces:
- Plaid skirt and blazer
- Knee high stockings
- Oversized flannel shirt
- Baggy ripped jeans
- Combat boots with a dress
Clueless Party Decorations:
For decorating at this party I would recommend decorating like Bryson Alcott High School.
- Cardboard locker door cut outs
- Black and white pendants
- Prop 90s cell phones
Here are some examples of 90’s party theme decorations from Amazon:
#2- Apollo 13
While this movie was actually based in the 1970s, it was a blockbuster 90s hit. There are so many easy and fun ways to make this party a hit. This party will be… out of this world!
Apollo 13 Costumes:
- Easy costumes- have everyone come in a simple button down collared shirt with a tie.
- Add plastic name tags- bonus points if you have pictures too!
- Vintage horn rim glasses- I feel like 80% of the people in this movie wore them
- Head set props for everyone
- Fushing 60Pcs Clear Plastic Vertical Name Tags Badge ID Card Holders and Metal Badge Clips with Clear PVC Straps
Apollo 13 Decorations:
- Moon landing photo booth- photo booths can provide so much entertainment for a party. This specific back drop will make for hours of fun!
- Make your own Mission Control props out of cardboard
#3- Jurassic Park
This movie made us imagine a merging of two worlds. The dangers and excitement of these periods coming together kept us on the edge of our seats.
Jurassic Park 90’s Theme Party Costumes:
A safari-style costume is pretty easy to come by with everyday basics.
- Canvas or khaki cargo pants or shorts
- Ian Malcolm in all black attire if you want to be cool.
- Inflatble T-Rex if you want to be funny.
Jurassic Park Decorations:
The museum is probably my favorite area to model these decorations after.
- Put a banner up like the one that is shown falling during the destruction
- Large cut outs of dinosaurs for fun photo opportunities
- Add in some greenery for a jungle style motif
- Feeling crafty? Make your own Jurassic Park Gateway Door
Creating a fun Nintendo or retro-video game party is a win when it comes to theme parties. Level up your party with these ideas from the 90s.
90s Nintendo Character Costumes:
- Mario, Luigi or Princess Peach (really any Mario character)
- Zelda and Link
- Golden Eye (007)
- Donkey Kong Characters
- Mortal Kombat
- Final Fantasy
Game Boy wall decal cutouts
- You can add these to the front door or place on fridge or wall
- Is your door is too dark? You can cover with plastic table cloth of your color choice to present a “GAME BOY COLOR” feeling. Yay 90s!
- Make it feel like an arcade with a cool cutout!
- Looking for some easy decor options? These video game-themed cutouts from Amazon are great to place around the room or doorway!
- Adding other arcade-themed items will make this theme feel authentic.
Shop These Nintendo 90’s Theme Party Costumes on Amazon Below:
Nintendo 90’s Theme Party Decoration Ideas:
Shop These Nintendo 90’s Themed Party Ideas on Amazon Below:
- Gameboy Dry Erase Giant Peel and Stick Wall Decals
- Colour Golden Age Video Arcade Game Life Size Cardboard Cutout SC1025
- Blue Panda Video Game Sign Cutouts – 8-Pack Arcade Directional Signs Theme Party Decorations, Kids Birthday Party Favors on 350 GSM Cardstock Paper, 17 x 4 inches
- CHENXI LED Arcade Shop Open Sign Special Offer Graphics Ultra Bright Flashing 10 x19 Inch(48X25 cm) Store Signboard (48 X 25 cm, Arcade)
The Simpsons was the longest-running scripted prime-time running show keeping us captivated for 30 seasons! With all of the iconic characters and fun shenanigans, there are plenty of party ideas waiting to be used.
The Simpsons Costumes:
- The Simpson family members
- Krusty the clown
- Moe the bartender
- Reverend Lovejoy
- Snowball the cat
Shop These Simpson Costumes on Amazon Below:
Simpson’s 90’s Themed Party Decorations
A simple way to decorate for this party is to recreate all the important location signs of the different establishments in the show:
- Moe’s Bar
- The Krusty Burger
- Springfield “hollywood” style sign
Growing up with Tommy Pickles and the childhood love of Reptar shaped our lives in a way that is unforgettable. Bring the fun and adventures of the kids into your next 90s theme party!
Rugrats 90s theme party Costumes:
- Tommy Pickles
- Chuckie Finster
- Angelica Pickles
- Lily and Phil DeVille
- Susie Carmichael
Shop These Rugrat Costume Ideas on Amazon Below:
- Rubie’s Women’s Splat Rugrats Angelica Pickles Costume Dress, As Shown, Standard
- Rubie’s Men’s Reptar, As Shown, One Size
- Men’s Rugrats Chuckie Finster Outfit Funny Theme Party Halloween Costume, L (42-44)Rubie’s Nickelodeon Rugrats Reptar Pet Costume, LargeThis Cynthia make-up tutorial blow my mind!
Rugrats 90’s Party Theme Decorations:
I would start with making giant toy decorations. My personal favorite is the giant ring stacking game.
You will need:
- 5-6 inflatable inner tubes
- different sizes- 40″, 36″, 30″, 24″,20″, 18″
- choose alternating colors of the rainbow
Stack them on top of each other to recreate this classic toy with ease. It will make a great statement.
Shop These Rugrats Ideas on Amazon Below:
#7- Lisa Frank
If you grew up in the 90s you know how important it was when “back to school” time hit to load up on the Lisa Frank. Folders, pencils, and Trapper Keepers all with rainbow and sparkles to make your little heart explode with joy. Throwing a Lisa Frank party will be a nineties throw back that everyone will love.
Lisa Frank Characters:
- Hunter the leopard
- Forrest the tiger
- Purrscilla the cat
- Markie the Unicorn
- Sandy the seal
- Casey and Caymus the golden retrievers
- Max Splash the whale
- Hollywood Bear
- Panda Painter
- The Ballerina Bunnies
Shop These Lisa Frank Looks on Amazon Below:
- Rubie’s Deluxe Unicorn and Headpiece, Rainbow, Small
- Neon Leopard Rainbow Print Sexy Spandex Tank Crop Top Animal 1980s Rave Costume (Medium)
- elope Neon Rainbow Tiger Deluxe Plush Tail
- URVIP Women’s Vintage 1950s Tutu Multicolor Petticoat Ballet Bubble Dance Skirt Rainbow L/XL
- YX GIRL Hoodies Lisa Frank Novelty Unisex 3D Printed Hoodie Drawstring Pockets Sweatshirts (Lisa, L)
Luckily for us, Lisa Frank hasn’t gone out of style. There are so many things to decorate your 90s party with.
Lisa Frank Party Decorations:
Shop These Lisa Frank Looks on Amazon Below:
Keeping the nineties close to our hearts, we all ran out and bought the replica “heart of the ocean” necklace the moment the movie credits rolled. Our love for Leonardo DiCaprio never wavered- we were head over heels for this heart throb. Having a Titanic party creates an event that is a little more glitzy and glamorous.
- 1920’s inspired dresses (I know Titanic sinking was 1912, but it’ll work!)
- Sailor outfits
- Suspenders and newsie hats
Shop These Titanic Costume Ideas on Amazon Below:
- Metme Women’s 1920s Vintage Flapper Fringe Beaded Great Gatsby Party Dress, Champagne, Large
- 1920s Mens Costume Accessories Set – Fedora Hat,Gatsby Gangster Vest,Vintage Pocket Watch,Plastic Cigar,Pre Tied Bow Tie,Tie,S
- BABEYOND 1920s Mens Gatsby Costume Accessories Set Includes Panama Hat Elastic Y-Back Suspender Pre Tied Bow Tie Pocket Watch and Plastic Cigar (Set-2)
- Vintage Sailor Men’s Costume Large White
- AILUOR Titanic Heart of The Ocean Necklace, Sterling Silver Blue Sapphire Crystal Necklace Pendants Jewelry Valentines
#9- In Living Color
Who can forget the pure 90’s comedy greats who go their start on In Living Color? This 90’s theme party idea lets your guests dress as their most favorite characters from the show.
- Homey D. Clown
- Arsenio Hall
- Mr. and Ms. Brooks
- Grandpa Jack (Dysfunctional home show)
- Vera de Milo
#10- Friends 90s Theme Party
“Pivot! Pivot!” One of the best-known shows of the 90’s all about a crew of besties living their best life in New York city!
- Smelly cat
Friends Party Decoration Ideas:
From the coffee shop to the apartments, there is a lot of fun stuff you can do with these brightly colored themed settings.
Shop These Friends Party Ideas on Amazon Below:
#11- Fresh Prince of Belair
“In WEST Philidephia born and raised, on a playground is where I spent most of my days…”
- Philip and Vivian
- Geoffrey (butler)
#12- Saved by the Bell
- Zach Morris
- Kelly Kapowski
- A.C. Slater
- Mr. Belding
#13- Austin Powers
- Austin Powers
- Dr. Evil
- Number 2
- Felicity Shagwell
- Foxxy Cleopatra
- Frau Farbissina
#14- Terminator 2
- Terminator (Schwarzenegger)
- Terminator T-1000
- John Connor
- Sarah Connor
- George Costanza
- Soup Nazi
#16 – The Matrix
- Agent Smith
- The Oracle
- Spoon Boy
90s Musicians and Bands
- Spice Girls
- Backstreet Boys
- Kurt Kobain
- Gwen Stefani
- Kriss Kross
- Salt n Pepper
#17- Favorite Nickelodeon Show
- All That!
- Rocko’s Modern Life
- Ren and Stimpy
- Hey Arnold!
#18- 90s Attire Themed Party
If you want to keep it super simple for you and your guests you can always go with a classic 90s Themed Party and allow your guests to wear whatever they would like to wear.
Here is my deep dive article on how to throw a 90s party from start to finish!
Here is my list of What to Wear to a 90s Party.
Pick your favorite theme and let the fun begin. Once you’ve decided on the theme, start your stress free party planning.
I hope you’ve enjoyed these theme ideas. Have a totally rad time!
- Throwing a 90’s Party From Start to Finish
- What to Wear to a 90’s Party
- Twenty 80’s Dress Up & Costume Inspiration
- 80s Party Decoration Ideas
- 20 Most Iconic 80s Accessories
Kim Anderson is the organized chaos loving author behind the Thrifty Little Mom Blog. She helps other people who thrive in organized chaos to stress less, remember more and feel in control of their time, money, and home. Kim is the author of: Live, Save, Spend, Repeat: The Life You Want with the Money You Have. She’s been featured on Time.com, Money.com, Good Housekeeping, Women’s Day, and more!